Sunday, November 9, 2008

Titans remain undefeated, open up 3 game lead on the entire AFC...


Not the best game the Titans have played this year, but all that counts is that they got the W. The Bears decided to put 8-9 guys in the box the entire game, and completely shut down the run in the 1st half. No biggie - we'll completely change our offensive philosophy in the 2nd half, and let our 37 year old QB and our motley crew of average WR's take over the game. In the end, we rush for like 20 yards total, but Collins passes for almost 300 yards en route to victory.

This is surreal. I still can't believe the Titans are doing this. As I said earlier this year, I always thought the Titans were a great team, completely capable of realistically reaching the Super Bowl, but this season so far is unbelievable. No doubt that getting to 9-0 takes some lucky breaks, but really, the Titans this year just always seem to make the big plays when they need to, have really minimized the mistakes, and have created their own "luck." I really don't give a crap about 16-0, and I don't think that is really even a possibility. In fact, I'd rather have 'em lose before the end of the year, but hopefully after they've already wrapped up the #1 seed :)

Next up, @ Jacksonville. Always a tough game. I don't care if the Jags are having a "down" year, they always play the Titans tough. Similar to my thoughts about playing the Ravens and Colts earlier this year (and hopefully a similar result). After that, home to the Jets, then on Thanksgiving vs. the Lions. I'd take a 2-1 stretch through those three games, but hopefully the loss doesn't come to the Lions. That would suck. Not only b/c the Lions suck, but b/c it would ruin the Lions chance at a perfect 0-16 season. I'm cheering for that harder than I am for 16-0.

The one potential loss I see coming is vs. the Jets at home in 2 weeks. Not so much because I'm all that impressed with or scared of the Jets (I'm not), but mainly because I'll be attending that game. And if past history is any sign of future results, the Titans will lose because I'm in attendance. This will be the 5th consecutive year Ami and I have made the trip up to Nashville for a game, and so far, I'm 0 for 4:

Loss to the Bears in '04 - lost by a freakin safety in OT. Pathetic;
Loss to the Raiders in '05 - Kerry QB'ed the Raiders in that game;
Loss to the Ravens in '06 - exciting game in VY's first year, but still a loss;
Loss to the Jags in '07 - unmemorable game - I think I was hammered by the 3rd quarter. Could explain the lack of memory...

Loss to the Jets in '08? God I hope not. If that happens, I'm never going to a game again. At least not a home game. The Titans seem to have no problem winning games I go to in KC the last 2 years :)

Enough negativity. With Pittsburgh's loss, the Titans are now up 3 games on the entire AFC with 7 games to go. That's awesome. Even if they just win the games vs. the sucky teams left on their schedule (Browns, Lions, Texans), then they'll be in great shape for a playoff run.

But I'm not looking ahead. I'm just enjoying this season every week for what it is - a freaking amazing experience. Being an NFL fan sucks a lot of the time, so when a special season comes along like this, you've gotta savor every moment. The last one I remember like this was back in '99. God I loved that team (screw you, Kurt Warner). Before that it was the Oilers in '94. That was a great team (screw you, Joe Montana). Luckily for this season, it doesn't look like there are any Missouri teams to get in the way and ruin my fun :)

Go Titans!!

No comments:

Bookmark and Share